What is the minimum size of alopecia areata
Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder, in this condition, your body immune system attracts the hair follicles of the scalp and any body parts. There are treatments for alopecia but it cannot be cured completely. In this generally, we can see patchy hair loss(alopecia areata) or complete baldness(alopecia Universalis or alopecia totalis). Sometimes small hair patches cannot be seen as well then suddenly one day you can notice them.
Alopecia is categorized into 3 types:
- Alopecia Areata
- Alopecia Totalis
- Alopecia Universalis
Let’s talk about some of the symptoms of alopecia:
- Sudden thinning of hair loss from the center part of the scalp.
- Small round and patchy baldness.
- Sudden full body hair loss.
- Nails become brittle.
- PRP treatment: If this treatment is done at the initial stage, they can help in controlling the hair loss and very effective treatment for alopecia but there is no complete cause for alopecia.
- Corticosteroids injections: Your dermatologist checks your hair loss and then accordingly will use this injection for support.
- Using anti-inflammatory drugs can also help to suppress the immune system, this can be through injections or with topical injections.
- Using of other medications like minoxidil can also help but this treatment should be done for long durations to get some % of results.
- Some results also so that using phototherapy also helps in giving results.
It’s very important to show a dermatologist as soon you see everyday shedding or 100 strands of hair loss and then no new hair regrowth at the area.
Size of alopecia:
The size of the alopecia may vary from person to person. In some cases, it’s seen that the size less than 3 cm in alopecia areata but in alopecia Universalis or totalis it can be more than 3 cm in size.
I hope the information about alopecia will be helpful for you. It’s always better to consult a dermatologist at the correct time and stop using over the counter medications.
" Correction of physical appearance and making it aesthetically perfect is not a mere status issue, its about making your soul comfortable in your body "
-Dr. Dhananjay Chavan