Male Hair Loss
Does chlorinated water cause hair loss?
Swimming is a good exercise for your health. But many people have a question in their mind whether the high level of chlorine in many swimming pools will have effects on your hair and skin? Does chlorinated water cause hair loss? Does my swimming routine affect my hair and skin? Don’t worry, you are on the right track to solve your query.
The chlorinated water used in the pool used to kill bacteria and maintain hygiene levels in the pool. But it strips away all the natural oils from hair, making them more dry, fragile and eventually leading to hair breakage or sometimes hair fall.
Chlorinated water and hair loss
Let’s see what is the relation between Chlorine and hair loss?
Water chlorination is a process in which chlorine or chlorine compounds such as sodium hypochlorite are added in water. This is used to kill some certain bacterias and other microbes in water as chlorine is highly toxic. As I mentioned chlorine water is required to keep the swimming pool clean and bacteria free. Which helps to keep swimmers safe from infections and insects. It is also used to sanitize swimming pool.
It is said that due to chlorinated water in swimming pools, you face lots of hair fall. But its actually the biggest myth. Chlorine water doesn’t directly cause hair loss, as chlorine water takes out natural hair oil from your hair. Because of which your hair becomes more frizzy and brittle. Brittle hairs then break into parts which don’t lead to direct hair loss. Due to spending more time in the swimming pool in chlorinated water you can even experience skin wrinkles.
How to protect hair from chlorine when swimming?
So to limit the damage caused by chlorine water, let us see what you can do:
- Make sure you use a swimmer cap, which covers and protects your hairs when you get into the water.
- Shower immediately before and after swimming, with the use of natural, chemical-free soap or shampoo.
- Drink plenty of non-chlorinated, filtered water before diving into the swimming pool, so that you are hydrated as much possible
- Make sure you don’t allow chlorine water to stay in your hairs for a longer time.
- We have naturally produced oil and sebum which makes our hairs more shine, soft, which protects our hairs as well. So try to rinse off chlorine water thoroughly from your hairs.
I have tried to solve your query regarding Does chlorinated water cause hair loss? Kindly do comment and share this with your friends, if you think it is helpful. For more information, you can call us on +91-7888091119, our support team will try to solve your queries. You can contact us at HairMD Clinic for any queries or consultation regarding hair loss and its treatment.
Thank you for your precious time.
" Correction of physical appearance and making it aesthetically perfect is not a mere status issue, its about making your soul comfortable in your body "
-Dr. Dhananjay Chavan