Female Hair Loss
Can Dandruff cause hair fall?
You are suffering from hair loss and dandruff problem. Then you will know how much dandruff is frustrating and irritating. It’s so embarrassing when you experience dandruff on your shirt. Isn’t it? You are also experiencing the same? Many of my patients ask me a very simple question during the consultation. Can dandruff causes hair fall? The answer is not simple, but you need to know in details about dandruff and hair loss. First, you should know about dandruff and how they both are related to each other.
What is dandruff?
It is a skin condition which affects your scalp. Dandruff is very dry, white flakes and can be itchy sometimes. Dandruff is affected by a very common fungus called Malassezia. It is not at all related with hygiene or how many times you wash your scalp. You need to check the reasons underlying if you are facing dandruff.
- Dry skin: If are having very dry scalp also can lead to itchy and irritated scalp resulting in flakes.
- Seborrheic dermatitis: It is the technical name of dandruff. In this condition, your scalp rash looks like oily flakes, redness, scaly. The flakes can be white or yellow.
- Malassezia: It can affect your scalp as it is the fungus. It irritates your scalp and itchiness.
- Cradle cap: Dandruff in infants is known as cradle cap. Mostly it is greasy or oily flakes, yellow color flakes. It is not a serious matter but after birth in a few weeks, it can occur.
What is the relation between dandruff and hair loss?
Dandruff is the scaling of scalp skin which is very superficial and does not involve the deeper parts of the scalp where actual follicle of hair lies. Hair has a three-step cycle called anagen, catagen and telogen phases. Dandruff and hair loss are indirectly related to each other. Do you know shorter the cycle more is the hair loss? DHT actually shortens this cycle that’s why causes hair loss by affecting hair follicles. Your hair will grow at the same rate in case if you have dandruff. It doesn’t affect your hair growth but can be less healthy and it can get damage or breakage.
Hair loss caused by dandruff
No, hair loss is not caused by dandruff. But in some cases, it is indirectly related to each other. Dandruff flakes can damage the hair roots if not taken complete care. Sometimes it can be itchy and inflamed and cause hair loss. Dandruff hair fall is tempory hair loss and easily can be taken care.
How to prevent dandruff hair loss?
You can prevent your hair loss consulting dermatologist at the initial stage of hair loss. Dandruff hair loss is one of the very common causes of hair loss. Dandruff hair loss can be prevented, let’s check the 10 points in which it can be useful.
- Keep your scalp clean and use a medicated shampoo like ketoconazole, salicylic acid etc use only 2 times a week.
- Wash your scalp with a mild shampoo.
- Avoid brushing your scalp.
- Ensure vitamins and proteins in your diet.
- Use onion juice or garlic juice on your scalp for dandruff and hair loss control.
- Initial consultation with a dermatologist.
- Application of minoxidil medication on your scalp can be of real help.
- Include any multivitamins on your diet.
- Always completely dry your hair properly.
- Don’t tie and keep wet hair.
Do share with your friends and family members if it is helpful to you. Do call us on +91-7888 091 119 and ask your queries to us. Comment us we will be grateful to know your queries.
Thank you for reading!
" Correction of physical appearance and making it aesthetically perfect is not a mere status issue, its about making your soul comfortable in your body "
-Dr. Dhananjay Chavan