Alopecia areata is an autoimmune disorder, in this condition, your body immune system attracts the hair follicles of the scalp and any body parts. There are treatments for alopecia areata but it cannot be cured. Alopecia areata is categorized into 3 types:
1. Alopecia Areata
2. Alopecia Totalis
3. Alopecia Universalis
Let’s talk about some of the early signs of alopecia:
1. Sudden thinning of hair loss from the center part of the scalp.
2. Small round and patchy baldness.
3. Sudden full body hair loss.
4. Nails become brittle.
Is alopecia areata curable?
Alopecia areata is most common alopecia and in this condition, we can see coin size patchy hair loss one or many in the scalp. Your own immune doesn’t recognize its own hair follicles. There are no proper treatments as such to cure the problem. The medications as such minoxidil application on the affected areas, corticosteroids injections, cortisone tablets and some oral immunosuppressant etc are also used. Light therapy treatment is also used in some cases.
This is another autoimmune disorder, in this problem, you will experience hair loss from your eyelashes, eyebrow and even your nails will become yellow and brittle as well. This is not at all a contagious but a genetic problem. This condition is seen in a single in 1 million people, and need immunosuppressant to control the immune system to become a more severe case.
This case is rare most alopecia and has chromosome mutation. This problem is seen from birth and later can also develop as well. Treatment like oral immune therapy is given to see at least 40% results.
As this condition is very sensitive, so need to be taken care of the patients. Let’s talk of a few points which might be useful for alopecia patients.
1. Emotional touch is at most important.
2. Support and counseling.
3. Mostly children and the teenage group face fear as if their classmate bully them, so patience is required to make them understand.
4. Eyelash extension can be used to look odd in the crowd.
5. Using of the scarf to cover your scalp.
6. Eyebrow tattooing on your eyebrow can be useful.
What are the treatments for Alopecia Areata?