Most of us know about hair loss due to stress, overexposure to the sun, harsh chemicals, and hairstyles that strain the hair, and about hair loss linked with genetics and heredity, but not everyone knows about hair fall due to pollution. Here we will discuss the effects of air pollution on hair and how to protect the hair from dust and pollution.
Are you experiencing hair loss? Get in touch with the best of our hair specialists in Pune to understand your hair condition. For a hair treatment or to get hair transplant, book an appointment with our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.
Effects of Air Pollution on Hair
- Dust particles can clog the hair follicles and lead to inflammation of the hair follicle (folliculitis) s.
- Exposure to pollutants s can cause dandruff, scalp irritation, and itching.
- Dust, mould, and pollens can lead to allergic reactions.
- Air pollution can cause the hair to get dry and brittle and lustreless.
- It can lead to excessive sweating on scalp.
5 Ways to Protect the Hair from Air Pollution
- Protective Gear: How to protect hair from sun and pollution? Wear protective gear while going outdoors in sunlight, so that your hair is secured from the heat of the sun as well as the pollution, which can hamper the health of your hair. How to protect hair from dust and pollution? Covering your hair with a scarf or hat when going out is the best way to protect your hair from the effects of pollution. Tying the hair is a good protection against pollution, as it gives less scope for dust and pollutants to enter the hair.
- Keep the Hair Clean: Pollutants rest on the outside of the hair, so washing the hair clean can reduce the effects of dust and pollution on hair health. How to remove dust from hair naturally? Use a mild shampoo and a conditioner so that the hair is washed well, and then hydrated. It is advisable to deep condition the hair once a week, to restore moisture in the hair and keep them lustrous and healthy.
- Avoid Tools and Chemicals: Avoid the use of harsh chemicals and tools or procedures in which the hair is heated; like curling irons, straighteners and dryers. Hair already exposed to environmental pollutants is more prone to damage if exposed to harsh chemicals in hair products. Overuse of mechanical tools may strain the hair leading to hair breakage.
- Use Hair Products for Protection: A hair mask effectively seals the cuticles and prevents dust and pollutants from damaging the hair shaft. A moisturizing hair mask works to smoothen and seal the cuticles. A scalp cleanser works to remove the build-up of oil and pollutants in the hair. A hair spray can be used to not only fight the frizz in hair but also to protect the tresses from the harmful effects of the sun and pollutants. Using a hair serum is good to protect the surface and cuticle of the hair from pollution.
- Adopt a Healthy Lifestyle: A diet rich in antioxidants helps you get rid of free radicals, that cause hair fall and premature aging of the hair and scalp skin. Include vitamins B, C, and D, and minerals like iron, zinc and selenium, which support hair health. Avoid smoking r. Follow a good workout regime, a proper diet, and manage stress, as these factors go a long way not only in maintaining overall fitness but also in keeping the hair and skin healthy.
This was an overview of how pollution affects hair health and how to protect the hair from air pollution. ‘How can I protect my hair from pollution?’, ‘How can I get rid of the dust and pollutants in hair?’, and ‘how can I prevent hair damage caused by pollution’, are some commonly asked questions about hair health. These questions are more relevant to those who travel a lot or have to stay outdoors through the day, as their hair is frequently exposed to pollution, dust and the heat of the sun.
If you are one of them, this article must have helped you. However, for any queries about hair health and protecting the hair from pollution, it is best to ask as expert, and one of the best places in Pune, where all your doubts about hair care would be resolved, is HairMD. It is a hair transplant centre with a team of experienced dermatologists who specialize in treating hair conditions. With their guidance, you will be able to attain healthy and luxurious hair.
Are you looking for hair fall solution? Get in touch with the best of our hair doctors in Pune to cure your hair loss. To book an appointment for a hair treatment or hair transplantation, contact our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.