Female Hair Loss
Why hair loss after pregnancy?
One of the most common questions asked in our OPD, ask us to tell them treatment so that they won’t go bald. My patients also experience hair loss during & after pregnancy and they do get panic. If you are reading this post and is experiencing the same then don’t panic and have patience. Today we will discuss Why hair loss after pregnancy and how to stop hair loss after pregnancy.
Causes of hair loss after pregnancy
- Telogen Effluvium (Hormonal issue): Is the name of the phenomenon you are experiencing right now, around 40 to 50% woman experience this after pregnancy. According to this phenomenon, most of the hairs go into the resting and growth phase during pregnancy due to hormonal effect i.e. due increased level of estrogen that’s why during pregnancy you feel like your hair growth has been increased but after 3 months of delivery this hormonal effect wears off and you start losing hairs but don’t worry its completely natural and normal as the other changes in pregnancy. You are not going go bald or have bald patch it’s just a normal shedding of hairs.
- Thyroid problem: It is one of the necessary hormones in pregnancy. It is important for normal fetal development for first 3 months. If you are already suffering from thyroid problem then you need to monitor your thyroid levels. Stress is one of the reasons which may shift the hormonal balance. If you are loosing 100 hairs in a day then it will increase and resulting in 300 or more.
- Iron deficiency: If you are suffering from an iron deficiency you will experience hair thinning, fatigue, irregular heartbeat, headache. This deficiency you can experience when you don’t have enough RBC to get oxygen. You need to consult a dermatologist and can add iron supplements to your diet. You can also include iron-rich foods like tofu, lentils, beans, spinach etc.
- Health issues: Hair loss can also affect you have any undiscovered health problem. Suddenly if you experience hair loss just don’t be scared just check with your doctor. According to the doctor, you can start with medications.
- Postpartum hair loss: It is said it is tempory hair loss, which is very normal in pregnancy. After six to 12 months after the childbirth.
How to control hair loss after pregnancy?
Let’s check the points which can be useful to control hair loss after pregnancy.
- Avoid hair styling products which will put stress on hair roots like braids, crown tails, pigtails etc.
- Get high protein diet includes in your diet.
- Conditioners and shampoos which contain high biotic and silica. Accordingly, choose your products.
- Avoid toothed comb while hairs are wet because wet hairs are very fragile.
- Supplement your diet with vitamins and micronutrients.
You should watch this video to know about the nutrients you should include in your diet.
How to prevent hair loss after pregnancy?
Just after pregnancy only you can expect your hair loss to stop. It may take some more months your hair fall to stop. You need to keep in my few points also after pregnancy.
- You need to keep your diet healthy throughout the journey, to have better hair condition for the long run. Keep having balanced and healthy food. Focus on your iron content, vitamins and minerals, proteins, etc.
- Take medications with doctors prescription only.
- Don’t tie your hair too tight and avoid using styling products.
- Always wash your hair gently as hairs may break.
I hope you will take care of your hair loss and will get good results. To know you can call us +91-7888 091 119 my support team will be happy to guide you in a better way. Keep in touch and do comment us your queries, we will be happy to help you out.
Thank you for reading!
" Correction of physical appearance and making it aesthetically perfect is not a mere status issue, its about making your soul comfortable in your body "
-Dr. Dhananjay Chavan