Male Hair Loss
Does DHT really cause hair loss
To know more about our hair, we should know that we have 3 phases of hair growth i.e anagen, catagen and telogen.
In anagen phase is called the growth phase, in this phase, our hair grows for at least for 2 to 6 years and stays for the long duration. Catagen phase is also called the transition stage, which lasts from just 2 to 3 weeks. The last phase is the telogen phase, which is called the resting phase, in this period our hairs go to dormant from 1 to 4 months.
What is DHT?
DHT has many roles to play apart from hair production; it is linked with prostate cancer and prostate glands also. It is one of the hormones which is responsible for male characteristics.
DHT is known as Dihydrotestosterone, which is the by-product of testosterone hormone and it is an androgenic hormone. It is seen in men 5 alpha reductase enzyme converts testosterone into DHT which binds with the receptors and due to which the hair follicle become shrink, weaken and then eventually the hair roots fall and dies. If 5 alpha enzyme increases in our body, then more testosterone will be converted into DHT which will result in more hair loss.
There are two types of 5 alpha reductase enzymes, i.e Type 1 and Type 2
- Type 1: Which is mostly found in the sebaceous gland and which is responsible to produce natural oil, which is sebum.
- Type 2: This is found on the hair follicles of our hair.
It is said that type 2 is responsible for the process of hair loss.
Yes DHT is one of the reasons for hair loss, but all baldness is not due to DHT hormone. This hormone plays a vital role in men hair loss.
How to block DHT naturally
Let’s talk about 5 natural ways which help in blocking DHT.
- Food likes tomato, watermelon, mangoes which contain lycopene which is a DHT inhibitor. Other foods like almond, walnut, peanut are also a DHT inhibitor.
- Reducing sugar and drinking is also good to block the DHT hormone.
- Moderate caffeine intake is also good.
- Using saw palmetto shampoo, this helps to produce slow DHT hormone.
- Pumpkin oil, emu oil, green tea etc will also slow down the hormone production.
- Finasteride is only one treatment which is clinically proven and approved to block DHT hormones. Daily taking this medication with dermatologist guidance helps in lowering down the DHT level, in sebum, and in the hair follicles. This medication also helps in increasing the terminal hairs of the anagen phase by inhibiting and revering miniaturization of the hair follicles.
- Miniaturization is a hormonal process in which the hair roots shrink in size before the growth phase ends and eventually as the hair starts falling and resulting in badness.
- Vitamin B7 (biotin) and niacin also are the best vitamins which help in blocking DHT hormones. It’s good to block the hormones in the roots.
- It’s not very difficult of having healthy hair if we treat our hair from the initial period of hair loss.
You can consult a dermatologist and with their guidance, you can maintain your dreamy hairs. To know more you can call us at +91-7888091119, we will be happy to help you.
" Correction of physical appearance and making it aesthetically perfect is not a mere status issue, its about making your soul comfortable in your body "
-Dr. Dhananjay Chavan