Are you experiencing hair loss? Get in touch with the best of our hair specialists in Pune to understand your hair condition. For a hair treatment or to get hair transplant, book an appointment with our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.
The link between a headband and hair loss is often less understood. Some believe it to be a causative factor for hair fall and breakage of hair while others think of a head band as the best accessory to keep their hair looking tidy. It should be noted that just wearing a headband is not the reason behind hair loss, but how you wear it, what material it is made of, and how tight or loose it is, are the factors which determine whether a headband can damage the hair. How to wear a headband without damaging hair? What are the advantages and disadvantages of wearing a zig zag hair band, metal headband and a spiral hair band? Do all headbands lead to hair loss? For answers to questions like these, you must read on.
Headbands and Hair Damage: Things You Should Know
- Headbands are not very good for scalp health. They pull the hair back from the face and this may cause damage to the hairs present along the frontal hairline and the temples.
- Do headbands cause hair loss? If very tight, headbands can lead to traction alopecia.
- Is wearing headbands bad for your hair? Headbands and hair bands are not bad for the hair but if worn tightly, they can lead to hair fall secondary to traction and inflammation.
- Elastic headbands pull the hair strands, resulting in hair breakage along the hairline. They also put pressure on the tissues underneath your forehead, leading to pain.
- Wearing a headband repeatedly can lead to hair breakage around the hairline, causing an enlarged forehead and a receding hairline.
- Some headbands have teeth or clips to keep them in place. They pull the hair back and strain the follicles. Long-term use of such headbands can lead to hair loss and bald spots.
- If your headband feels tight on the head and gives you a pinching sensation, know that it is not good for your scalp.
- If you use bands that hold the hair back only gently, they do not lead to hair loss. A cotton-knit headband is not very stretchy, and is light and elastic.
- Metal headbands are popular among men and women. They are non-slip and help in keeping your hair in place and looking tidy and stylish. Does a metal headband cause hair loss? The metallic edge of this headband rubs against the scalp. Hair strands may get entangled in metal headbands and cause the hair to get pulled out and break.
- Hair bands and hair ties strain the hair follicles, and when used frequently, can lead to hair loss due to constant stress on the hair.
- One of the different types of hairbands used in today’s times, are zigzag hairbands. They pull the hair back while creating a design of unique lines in the hair. Flexible ones that wrap around the head, may not cause damage but plastic ones are rigid and may put pressure on the hair, leading to hair breakage and hair loss.
- Zig zag hair band benefits include good styling, creating different hairstyles like a messy bun and adding volume to the hair. However, zig zag hair band disadvantages include creating tension on your hair strands, causing hair breakage and split ends.
- Among the other types of hair bands or hair ties are the spiral ones. Their shape is such that they hold your hair firmly without pulling the strands. They can also be used to hold wet hair in place. A spiral hair band benefits fine hair, as they are smaller and it can hold fine hair well.
- Thus, while selecting a head band for women or men, you should look at the material of the head band, its fitting and the frequency of use. A polyester or microfiber hair band or any head band of a soft material does not damage the hair.
- You should also ensure that the headband fits you properly, which means it should not be very tight, as tight headbands tend to strain the hair leading to their breakage. Repeated use of headbands, especially tight, elastic ones should be avoided, as frequent pulling of the hair at the forehead leads to a receding hairline.
Simply put, headbands cannot be considered the main culprit for hair loss. As you know, hair fall or hair breakage has several reasons and more than headbands, a tight hairstyle is the reason behind hair breakage. So, wearing a hair band loosely, just so that it keeps the hair from coming on the face is not damaging on the hair.
If you are experiencing hair loss, before blaming it on headbands or other hair accessories, you should consult a dermatologist. He would assess your hair condition, identify the cause of your hair loss and give you the best treatment for the same. For any queries related to hair care and for reliable advice on hair loss and its treatment, one of the best places to approach is HairMD. It is a hair transplant centre in Pune with a team of experienced dermatologists who specialize in treating hair conditions. With their guidance, you will be able to restore healthy hair growth and get beautiful hair.
Are you looking for hair fall solution? Get in touch with the best of our hair doctors in Pune to cure your hair loss. To book an appointment for a hair treatment or hair transplantation, contact our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.