Are you experiencing hair loss? Get in touch with the best of our hair specialists in Pune to understand your hair condition. For a hair treatment or to get hair transplant, book an appointment with our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.
In winter, the skin gets rough and dry and the hair gets itchy and frizzy. This happens because we sweat less in the winter and there is always a moisture imbalance. The dry and cold weather causes the scalp’s skin to lose moisture. This leads to cracked skin, causing the dead skin cells to come out in the form of flakes. Here we give you the reasons why dandruff increases in winter.
Why Dandruff Increases in Winter
- A dry scalp leads the body to generate more oil. This can aggravate dandruff.
- Microorganisms that cause dandruff grow more at higher temperatures. During the winter, using a woolen cap or scarf to cover the head, increases the temperature of your head. This may lead to an increase in dandruff during the winter months.
- In winter, you tend to wash your hair less often. This can lead them to trap oil, dirt, and microbes, in turn causing dandruff.
- Exposing the scalp to sudden temperature changes can also cause dandruff by disrupting oil secretion in the scalp. This mostly happens when you use very hot water for hair wash and then expose the hair to extreme cold.
- In winter, your water intake reduces due to the cold weather. Less consumption of water can lead to dehydration which is among the primary reasons behind dandruff in winter.
- Overuse of heat styling tools like irons, straighteners, and hair dryers, leads to a dry scalp. The dryness of the scalp is a cause of dandruff.
- In winter, you tend to spend more time indoors, and you may be using a fireplace or a heater to warm up your home or office. The heat leads to dry air, which is a leading cause of dandruff.
Remedies for Dandruff in Winter
- An oil massage to the hair and scalp improves hydration, helps the skin retain moisture, and prevents dryness of the scalp, thus serving as an effective remedy for dandruff.
- Salicylic acid is helpful in getting rid of scaly and flaky skin. Using a shampoo with salicylic acid as an ingredient is remedial against dandruff in winter.
- Using an anti-dandruff shampoo helps in treating dandruff in winter.
- It is best to keep your scalp moisturized, in order to prevent dryness. This can be remedial against dandruff caused by dryness of the scalp skin in winter.
- Hot water causes the scalp to get dry and flaky. So avoid using hot water for washing your hair in winter.
- Reduce stress levels, as stress is an important cause of dandruff and other hair problems.
- Follow a healthy diet, and a good workout regimen, and adopt a proper hair care routine to keep dandruff at bay, during the winters.
- Mild dandruff can be treated using a gentle shampoo to reduce the build-up of oil and skin cells.
- Shampoo less during the winter and always use a conditioner following a hair wash. This is more applicable to people with dry hair.
- Medicated and non-medicated hair products in the form of gels, oils, sprays, foams, and creams act as effective treatments against dandruff in winter.
- A dandruff shampoo that contains one or more the ingredients like selenium sulfide, pyrithione zinc, salicylic acid, and ketoconazole is a good treatment for dandruff.
- Tar-based shampoos have antibiotic and antifungal properties, owing to which, they help in treating dandruff.
This was an overview of why dandruff increases in winter and dandruff in winter remedies and treatments. To get the correct answer to questions like ‘how to cure dandruff permanently’, ‘what is the most effective dandruff treatment’, or ‘what are the best remedies for dandruff in winter’, you should consult a dermatologist. If you are having dandruff or any other hair condition, one of the best places to approach is HairMD in order to get its correct diagnosis and treatment. HairMD is a reputed hair transplant centre in Pune and has a team of experienced dermatologists who specialize in treating hair conditions. They will guide you well on the best dandruff treatments and home remedies, and help you cure dandruff permanently and achieve healthy and beautiful hair.
Are you looking for hair fall solution? Get in touch with the best of our hair doctors in Pune to cure your hair loss. To book an appointment for a hair treatment or hair transplantation, contact our dermatologists near you, call +919584584111.