Fenugreek is touted as one of the most effective natural ways to stop hair loss and promote hair growth. The use of fenugreek, topically in the form of oil or paste, or its internal consumption, is considered a good way to boost hair and scalp health. However, it should be noted that fenugreek, especially if consumed in excess, can have some adverse side effects on hair and overall health. Here we give you the benefits and side effects of fenugreek on the hair.
Are you experiencing hair loss? Get in touch with the best of our hair specialists in Pune to understand your hair condition. For a hair treatment or to get hair transplant, book an appointment with our dermatologists near you, call +912071177333.
Fenugreek Benefits for Hair
- Fenugreek contains high amounts of iron and protein, which are necessary for hair growth. So, using fenugreek for hair loss is very effective.
- Fenugreek is a good source of plant compounds like flavonoids and saponins. Flavonoids and saponins have antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties, owing to which they help in hair growth.
- Fenugreek also has nicotinic acid, which along with protein, can fight hair fall and dandruff. It also helps in treating scalp conditions like dryness.
- Fenugreek contains hormone antecedents that boost hair growth and rebuild hair follicles. Combining aloe vera with it provides added nourishment to the hair follicles. So using a hair mask that contains aloe vera gel and fenugreek seeds paste, works wonders for the hair.
- Lecithin, found in fenugreek, nourishes the scalp and hair roots and helps in strengthening the hair.
- Due to its protein and amino acid content, fenugreek provides nourishment to the scalp, prevents hair damage, and gives thickness to the hair. It is good to use fenugreek seeds for hair thickening.
- The mucilaginous fiber in fenugreek seeds is helpful in retaining moisture in the hair, thus keeping them lustrous and smooth in texture.
- The iron and potassium contents of fenugreek help in preventing premature greying of hair.
- The topical application of fenugreek paste is effective against dandruff and hair fall.
- Applying fenugreek paste on the hair and scalp helps in getting rid of the oiliness of the scalp.
- Fenugreek powder mixed with olive oil acts as a very good conditioner for the hair.
Fenugreek Seeds for Hair: Side Effects
- The topical application of fenugreek seeds’ paste or oil, is quite safe, but ensure that you are soaking them in water before the application. To reduce the risk of allergies, conduct a patch test on the region where the fenugreek paste or oil is to be applied.
- Consumption of fenugreek is linked with certain side effects like nausea and headache.
- Excessive intake of fenugreek can lead to diarrhea and bloating.
- Fenugreek can lower blood sugar levels if consumed in huge quantities.
- Similarly, fenugreek has side effects like asthma and wheezing.
- If consumed in excess, fenugreek can lead to loss of consciousness.
- The side effects of fenugreek for hair also include allergic reactions.
- If pregnant or nursing, it is not advisable to consume fenugreek for hair growth.
- Fenugreek seeds can lead to an unusual body odour.
Thus although fenugreek benefits for hair are many, there are certain side effects of fenugreek seeds for hair. Fenugreek can be used for hair growth, hair thickening, strengthening, and improving hair texture, but you should be fully aware of the fenugreek seeds for hair side effects. It is best to consult an expert in the field before starting to use fenugreek for hair loss. It is also not advisable to use fenugreek as a home remedy for hair fall, before a proper diagnosis of your hair condition.
Know that this was an overview of the benefits and side effects of fenugreek for hair, but it is necessary to consult a dermatologist for the correct assessment and treatment of your hair disorder. For medical advice on any hair condition, one of the best places to approach is HairMD. They have a team of experienced dermatologists who specialize in treating hair conditions. Their reliable guidance will help you get the best treatment for hair loss and attain healthy and beautiful hair.